Toward the end of July, the Wall family invaded the Sevey family home in Texas and much chaos ensued. It was fun chaos though so I think we were all pretty happy with it. There was much oooing and ahhhing over the adorable new babies and lots of adorable cousin moments.
After some time of eating good food, planning and packing, and games, we threw various children and bags of clothing and food into a rented RV and took off eastward.
For the sake of saying we'd visited states that some of us had never visited before, we drove to Tennessee on the southerly route and returned on the northerly route.
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Apparently I missed the Tennessee sign - I don't know why though since it would've been in the morning. Oh well.
Arkansas (on the way back)
The babies slept FOREVER in the RV. This was great on the one hand, and kinda crappy on the "hey, we're supposed to be nursing you an hour ago" hand. But we dealt and eventually got them to wake up and all was well.
And when you're almost there and the kids almost can't take it anymore....break out Frozen. Hey, you do what you gotta do.
Getting up the hill at the reunion site was....exhilarating. But with a little careful maneuvering and some prayer, we made it up just fine. It was fun to see everyone who made it and sad to miss those who didn't. The babies were, of course, the instant celebrities though Katie gave them a run for their money in the cuteness department.
Oh the cheesiness
Family Home Evening, led by Glen
One morning, we ventured out for a nice hike the Tennessee wilderness. Well, it was almost a wilderness except for all the cars. But the hike was really nice and the babies did pretty well. I was sad to miss out on the fun group shot at the waterfall but considering I was in the middle of nursing Thor at the time, I figured it was for the best. I was amused that of the six members of my immediate family, all but one of us was exposed somehow at the top of the trailing. The one who actually didn't flash some part of the forest or tourists? Hazel. Go figure.
Speed is SO big!
Umm....Alex, did you forget someone?
Gathering at the trailhead
Photographing the photographers
The Seveys
Hazel was in LOVE with that little flower
The Walls (partially)
Gathering for the group shot (which I don't have a copy of - who wants to send me one?)
Ladies and gentlemen, my husband.
Snack time.
Speed is blocking the trail?
Noah is sad.
Psych.
At the fountain right inside (Maya, Eva, Zizah, Alyssa, Noah's head, Speed)
Grumpy baby = grumpy mommy
Riding the train
Ammon
I love so many things about this picture.
Katie
Someplace that actually still has a ball pit!!
Checking out the scenic chair lift to get to the top of the Alpine Slide
Alex and Noah on the chairlift
Jacob and Hazel coming down the Alpine Slide
(I rode down it with Speed and had to fight him the whole time because he wanted to make it go "AS FAST AS IT CAN" - he's nuts)
Speed LOVED this ride and loved his Uncle Chad for taking him on it again.
Hazel with Maya
Glen
Alex and Noah
Meeting the Ober Gatlinburg Bear (name unknown)
I've visited several amusement park-type places with Nicole and she always makes this face but secretly, she LOVES it. Maybe.
Another day we went to these old town shops that were pretty fun. We got the kids some different kinds of candy and some fun spice rubs for meat for us. The apricot one was a little iffy in the end but new stuff is fun regardless. After the shops, we hit up this little train museum that ended up being a big hit. There were train cars outside for us to look at and climb on a bit. We thought there was also this fun dirt hill for the kids to climb on but it turned out that was an upcoming model train site (I think?) so the kids weren't supposed to be on it. Oops. Speed still has the little train we let him buy here and just last week asked if we can go back there so he can get a friend for his train.
Zizah just fell in love with her cousin Jared
Hazel checking out the trains with Uncle Logan
Speed on top of the NOT for playing dirt hill
Nobody said the kids couldn't play in this pile of gravel so I never stopped them.
We also had lots of good food and good conversation and a talent show, which I have no pictures of and therefore very little memory of. I think Jared played a Coldplay song on the guitar and sang it too? Eva presented Thor with his very own Mjolnir and red cape/blanket that she sewed for him. She's such a sweetheart.
Also, there was some conspiring to get Mom to start telling some of her childhood and teenaged stories.
First, we stopped for gas in Memphis, TN. The gas station was...well-protected. At the urging of some of the other patrons (who we assumed were locals), Jacob paid for the gas quickly and we got out of Memphis quickly. Apparently we had picked a bad part of town to get gas in - ah the joys of traveling.
Second, we were partway through Texas and decided that it was late enough and we were all tired enough that we wanted to stop for the night, sleep for a few hours, and then make the rest of the drive in the morning. However, the GPS betrayed us and there was no rest area east of Dallas where there was supposed to be. So we found ourselves on the southwest side of Dallas, still several hours from Austin, everyone exhausted and no rest areas in site. So we did what any logical person would do: pull off the highway and stopped behind a semi on the off ramp should who had the same idea and hit the hay. I think the abandoned lot in Alaska still wins for weird places I've slept but this was a close second. We made it back to Austin in fine time in the morning and got lots of time to relax.
On Sunday, we were very lucky to get to be there for Violet's blessing. She's such a cutie pie.


No comments:
Post a Comment