Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Halloween 2014

It's a well-known fact that Halloween is one of my least favorite holidays. The least favorite of all time is Labor Day (have you ever looked up the history of that one? ugh.) but Halloween is up there. Every year I ask the kids if we can skip Halloween and do something fun instead. I've been out-voted every year. Perhaps someday....

 See! Thor doesn't like Halloween either!

Other Wall family members out here get more into the Halloween spirit. My sister-in-law organized carving pumpkins and we offered to host. It was fun to get together with friends and talk and watch other people help my kids carve pumpkins. :-)




A day or two before Halloween, our sweet neighbor "Booed" us with a fun bag of candy and toys for the kids. The real winner was a copy of "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". That movie has been in a daily or weekly rotation since October (I'm writing this the following May). Zizah fell in love with it and I'm starting to worry that she's actually going to wear out the DVD (if that's possible. If it isn't, pretend I didn't say that).

Our ward's Trunk-or-Treat ended up falling Halloween night this year. They ended up skipping the usual dinner and just did cars handing out candy to avoid taking people's whole night. We started the night out at our house with the traditional pizza dinner and then trick-or-treated our way over to the church and then down to my in-laws house.

The little kids pooped out pretty quick, which I expected, so I took them home and Hazel stayed out with her aunt and cousins to score some more candy. Her aunt told me that people kept asking what she was dressed up as - a question that you're bound to get when you dress up as broccoli - and when she told them, a couple of the people said something like "Oh, that's so cute - have some extra candy."

Well, it doesn't take Hazel long to pick up patterns and apparently it wasn't long before she was introducing herself with "Hi, I'm broccoli. Isn't that cute? Can I have some extra candy?" Her aunt helped her understand that wasn't the most polite way to strike up conversation. :-)

I told the younger kids (besides Thor) that they could stay up until Hazel got home and Speed surprised me by wanting to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas while he waited for her. That has never been my favorite movie but he got really into it this year and watched it tons. The kids got tons of candy (as usual) and had a bunch before heading to bed.

Hazel as Broccoli

Zizah as Wicket

Speed as a Fireman (take 2 - he was also a fireman 2 years ago)

Hazel with her cousin as Mario

Thor as my little teddy bear

Group shot (thanks, Uncle Bret for helping with Thor)

This kid and this movie....head scratcher

No comments: