Around Christmas 2014, I had the following IM conversation with my sister-in-law:
Tevia Wall: so, random weird question for you
I am starting to think about next year and travel and all that
and I am kind of a little bit thinking about maybe doing a trip to Lego Land and Sea World over fall break.
I KNOW... I said i would NEVER go back to lego land
but i think enough time has gone by that i feel ok eating my words
would you guys be interested in doing that maybe?
oops, not fall break
Spring break
Carolyn Wall: well, to start: ROFL
seriously - threw my head back and cackled :D
but in actual response, I think there's a possibility some segment of our family would be interested in going.
We had been to Legoland California once about 6 years ago and it was....not a horrible experience but also not a great one. I just spent 10 minutes looking for my blog post about it and apparently I never wrote one. Oops. It was dramatic. But we talked about this Legoland idea for a while and then decided to do it. The fact that the copy of The Lego Movie that we got for Christmas had a free kids' admission didn't hurt either.
Due do a large church activity that I was heavily involved in, we ended up not leaving for CA until Saturday morning. The drive went quickly and we had a fun, though warm, stop at the sand dunes just outside Yuma.
After we got all settled in at the hotel, we noticed that they were showing a movie on the lawn that night. We grabbed some "quick" dinner at Rubio's (the wait was crazy but the food was good) and then got to watch Big Hero 6. The other Wall family had seen it before but we hadn't. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and fell in love with the Fall Out Boy song in the credits. Speed was extra hilarious during the movie because he kept switching between it being boring, scary, or awesome.
We spent most of the next day playing at the beach and then relaxing in the hotel. The men stayed longer at the beach to try surfing while us womenfolk and children headed back to the hotel pool to wash out the sand and play a bit more, and then to the rooms to relax and perhaps nap a bit. We went out for a nice seafood dinner that night at a fun place just down the street from the hotel.
Thor. Smash.
Numnumnum...

The view from the top of the bluff
Jacob built the awesome sand turtle
The kids creation - I think it's a city of some sort
Poor kid had such a hard time falling asleep
But he finally got a good snooze in
Even when stuffed from dinner...there's always room for popcorn.
One night we left the teenagers in charge for a little bit and the adults went to get frozen yogurt.
I'm pretty sure mine was the yummiest.
We had a much better experience this time. There's several factors involved but I think it's mostly due to different attitudes, not being in the middle of Christmas-time, and having kids of a more appropriate age (last time we came we only had Hazel and she was 18 months old). We had a really good time on the dragon roller coaster and seeing the different displays, especially the Star Wars Lego part. I think the absolute winner was The Lego Movie set that we got to walk around and see and then...meeting Emmett and Wyldstyle! (We learned when we were at Disneyland back in 2013 that our kids REALLY like meeting the characters - don't really know why but since we were there to make them happy, we waited in line.)
Taking selfies is extra hard with no front camera....
But my sister-in-law took pity and took a good shot for me. Because: WICKET!! #nerdgirl
This kid....
Busted
The famous apple fries - I was pretty eh about them but cooked apples have never been my thing
Zizah was so excited that we had trouble getting her to turn around for a picture
On the set...
Speed calls this "the party ship". We need to watch Star Wars. Now.
It's not personal....it's business. Lord Business.
I Spy Batman!
The Kragle....
Middle Zealand
Double-decker couch
This was Speed's favorite display
Interior design idea for later...not joking.
Moooom - BOAT.
I know this sounds like a cat poster....
After lunch, we split up for a bit and Hazel went off with the older cousins to do some older kid stuff. I took a break with the two littles for snacks, diaper changes, and a bottle while Jacob took Speed on some rides that were his size. Then we hung out by the Duplo playground for a while and rode the Storybook ride over. And over. And over. Zizah's a fan.
Waiting for lunch
Digging for dinosaur bones
Who knew Prince Charming had a smart phone
Cinderella
The last thing we hit up on our way out of the park was the Miniland USA section. This hasn't changed much since we were here years ago but it's fun to see famous landmarks in miniature.
She was trying to feed the ducks. With rocks.
Vacationing is such hard work.
We ended up staying at Legoland until almost closing time (it closed at 6 because it was still winter hours) and then we hit up the buffet at the Legoland Hotel next door for dinner before getting in the car and heading home.
It was a pretty uneventful drive on the way home, except for the time we had to stop for gas/potty breaks at the Indian casino at 11:30pm. I think all the people thought we were crazy. But we made it home in one piece and not terribly late. I don't know that we'll go back to Legoland again. I think we probably will but the situation would have to be just right like it was for this trip.








































No comments:
Post a Comment