Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lake Roosevelt Camping

We got Spring Break started off right with a camping trip!! Monday morning (okay, almost afternoon - I'm a little slow these days), we headed off to Lake Roosevelt, which is a bit east of us. We met up with Jacob's brother's family and more of their extended family on the Webb (not Wall) side. There are a bunch of cousins the same ages as our kids and we do stuff with them a lot so we always have a fun time together. The camping spot was pretty nice - not primitive camping but being all pregnant and stuff, I did appreciate the real toilet for this trip.

Just arrived at the lake.

Oh help - Hazel has entered the weird face phase of picture-taking.




It was quickly evident that Jacob and I had not been camping together for quite a while. It took me most of the first night and some of the next morning to really relax and get into the groove of camping. I'd like the blame the hormones but really I was just being silly and we were just not communicating well. Once I finally chilled out, I had a really good rest of the trip. Of course, the kids loved every second of it from when we arrived (except when we tried to get Zizah to nap - she hated that). We relaxed and talked and played in the lake and (tried to) fish and went for walks and played with fire and ate good food - pretty much just the normal camping stuff.

My sister-in-law's brother had brought some of his toys, including this little gem. She thought she was SO BIG pretending to drive it. :)







It was a really pretty spot. I think we'll probably go back here again when we're in the mood for some hotel-style camping.


Playing down at the lake the second day.



She did end up completely soaked by the way. I eventually gave in and took off her shoes and socks and rolled her pants up but it still wasn't enough.

He never did catch anything but not for lack of trying. This lake just isn't great with the shore fishing (like most lakes in Arizona unfortunately).



This is Scruffy, my sister-in-law's mom's dog. I usually don't love small dogs, but I really love this little guy. He is so sweet. 

 And Zizah REALLY loves him. He usually gets nervous around small kids but he seemed to really like Zizah too. 

I don't remember what someone called this but it was a weird effect in the sky at one point. It's pretty in any case, right?

On her little fishing date with Daddy



 Oh the faces this kid makes....









Hazel was a bit sick for this trip, which was really unfortunate. Thankfully Jacob was willing to take her to the bathroom during the night when she had to go. The last morning she didn't even want to come out of the tent and eat breakfast - she just drank some water and went on sleeping until everything else was packed up but her and the tent.

I'm really looking forward to doing some more camping as soon as we get out of the newborn phase with this next kid. It's so much fun to sit around and relax and watch the kids explore.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love the pictures. Looks like a great place to camp.