Thursday, April 3, 2008

Update on Us

So here's the latest from our side of Provo: Jacob is nearing the end of his second to last semester in college. (Yeah!) This make this time very stressful, especially since he's also starting to look for jobs. Let's be honest, that part of life is never fun. But he's doing well and has been very disciplined in his studies. After this semester, which is only two more weeks), he has two classes to take in Spring Term and that's the end of his college career! He's still currently working with Dr. K on the Internet Safety Podcast and is having a good time with that. He's got a cold right now, which doesn't make getting ready for the end of the semester any better.

As for me, at my latest OB appointment yesterday, the doctor diagnosed me with mild preclampsia (aka pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH), aka toxemia). I'd like to tell you all that it's not a big deal, but then Jacob would get on my case for lying. It's isn't a HUGE, HUGE deal, but it is a pretty big deal. Basically, my body isn't able to keep up with the extra stress of being preganant and some of my organs (specifically my liver, from what I understand) aren't completely doing their jobs because they aren't getting enough bloodflow. So for now, the doctor has me on a very strict schedule of rest, but at least it isn't complete bedrest. I have to lay down on my left side for 1 hour in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, and a total of 10 hours at night, including sleeping time, obviously. The rest is supposed to increase my circulation and give my liver a chance to catch up on cleaning up my blood instead of leaving nasty stuff in it like it is right now.

My employer has been very nice and flexible about all of this and is letting me work half-days at the office and then some extra hours at home so that I can get finished up the things I need to do before I go on maternity leave and also so I have something to do so I don't go nuts with waiting for something to happen. Jacob has been very good about taking care of me, making meals, making sure I'm resting as much as I should, etc. So despite the condition and what it's doing to me, I've been very blessed with everyone around me being so understanding and helpful. And the best news is that this really isn't affecting the baby very much. She's going to be just fine, though she may make her appearance earlier than anticipated. Which, as long as she's healthy, is ok with me. :-) So I'm just spending a lot of time laying down getting sick of stupid TV shows.

So that's the latest. Overall, things are pretty good. We're about ready for Hazel to get here, and it's looking like that's a good thing, considering how soon she might be here! I have a doctor's appointment next Wednesday and we'll know more what to expect after that. We'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Mom called me yesterday. It is a scary thing, but you ARE very blessed to have a great husband and friends and family around. I wish I could be there physically for you. I know how scary it can be. Do your best to make it as far as you can. Early babies give a lot of heartache! Later, a lot of joy too, but the worrying can just about kill you! Know that you are in our prayers and I think of you often.

Mom said...

Name on the temple prayer roll.

David said...

Hang in there girl! I am sorry about the complications. We will keep you in our prayers.

Michael said...

Remember to breathe. This, too, shall pass. Love you.