The last time this happened was April 1972, however yesterday around lunch time, a tornado touched down several times in Vancouver. There were some crazy stories and a lot of damage to some places. A billboard along one of the roads is made to withstand 90 mph winds, but it was literally folded, not broken, in half. The rowing club by Vancouver Lake was demolished and most of their 90 boats were smashed beyond recognition. Lots of missing roofs all along the tornado's path. Amazingly, no injuries were reported. People at a nearby Fred Meyer hunkered down in their cars during the hail and saw shopping carts flying over, yes over, their cars and out of the parking lot into oncoming traffic. I see all the uprooted trees on the news and I think I'm okay not having any trees in my yard. They did lockdown all the schools, but the touchdown sites were 2 miles away from our house (and Maya's school). We did get the hail at our house and Parker and I saved some to show Maya (she was indoors the whole time). Our hail was marble size and it came fast, hard and sometimes horizontally. I'm also glad Logan is on-board with the idea of always parking our cars in the garage, so we had no damage from the hail. We watched weather news from noon until 6pm, all other shows were pre-empted (is that how you spell that word?)
So, a little excitement for us. We just never, can't say that anymore, have tornados and rarely have thunder or lightening, but we had it all yesterday!
1 comment:
Oh, Janet. Two miles is not very far with a thing like this. I remember the tornado in Xenia Ohio when we lived in Oakwood. It is a scary experience.
I am so glad that you are all right there. I hope that all of Logan's extended family is also.
Post a Comment