While he was off
We had some good times for our last days of summer: we went to the water park with cousins, lost 3 different children at 2 different times at the water park in the dark (we found them all again - no worries), went to the zoo, went out to eat, went to an indoor playground with a bouncehouse and an inflatable slide, did some major organizing/cleaning, and even went to the grocery store a time or two. And once the kiddos were in bed, I had a Twilight movie marathon with my sister-in-law. AWESOME. Well, except the parts where the dog-boy takes his shirt off. Gross. :) We even waited until our men were back in town to watch #4 and #5 because they hadn't seen them yet. We're thoughtful like that. (Jacob has - well had - a standing agreement that he had to watch each Twilight movie with me once. I'm pretty sure he'll never watch them again, but he can't deny he's seen each one at least one time.)
We were all missing Daddy something fierce by the time he got home the second time. Well, the first time too, but it sounded weird to say it like that.
Being cute at the zoo
Zebras!
Komodo dragon!
Daddy Orang-utan.
Spider monkeys!
Sleeping at the zoo!
Petting the goats
Riding the carosuel
Playing at the zoo splashpad
At the Play Factory
Hazel on the rock wall
Speed climbing the slide
The day after Jake got back from his last trip, it was Hazel's first day of kindergarten!
I was SOOOOOO not excited about this. I can say that here because she's can't completely read yet so nobody tell her, k? I had all kinds of worries and conflicting emotions about her starting school. Plus several hours worth of rants about public school in general, this specific school, principal, and teacher. However, I'm not gonna go there. Let's just accentuate the positive and say that she's loving it and she's doing really well. The house is a lot quieter during the day now and we all miss her but it's just an adjustment and we'll get used to it. And thank goodness I have almost 2 years before our next first day of kindergarten experience...
On the third day of school, after school, we grabbed Hazel and headed up to Cottonwood, Arizona. Jacob's sister's husband has just been hired in Sedona as a police officer and so they are looking at houses with a more reasonable commute since it's currently 2 hours. :) Cottonwood cuts it down to 20 minutes and doesn't cost a fortune like it does to actually live in Sedona. Anyway, they had found a house that they liked and wanted Jacob to come see it. While Jacob was researching the area, he found there was all sorts of easy fishing just north of the town. Not good eating, but easy to catch. So he decided we should make a family afternoon trip out of it and see if we could get Hazel and Speed to catch their first fishes. I was hoping to also end my 5 year curse of no fish actually caught.
The fishing was nice and easy and very quickly Hazel caught her first ever fish. She was SO excited. It took Speed a bit longer because he started off exploring and because he kept not reeling in when he needed to. But with a little extra help, he caught his first fish too. It was really, really fun to see their excitement and we're more motivated now to go places where they can fish too.
And after several casts and a couple of lost hot dogs, I ::dundundun:: broke my curse! Small but I'll take it!
(Just for the record, here's a picture of the last fish I caught: August 30, 2008. Not exaggerating. And not kidding - I swear there's a fish mixed in with those plants there.)
So now we're just trying to adjust to a regular



2 comments:
I'm glad that at least Hazel likes school. And I'm also glad that you've broken your fish-less curse even if it was a tiny one. :)
Thanks for the post. I always love to read your blogs and see the pictures. Great job on the fish.
Post a Comment