Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More Fun With Hair Dye

I have been having SO much fun with my hair lately. I know not everyone is a fan and that's okay. I'm LOVING it though.

Back in February, I dyed my hair pink. Or tried to. It didn't come out well. People who know me well asked if I had done a copper rinse because the color looked different but not distinctive. I didn't even bother taking a picture of that one. Since that didn't go very well, my internet research put me in the direction of bleaching before I tried my next chosen color, which was purple.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of the bleach color. It's just...awkward. If it was my natural color, I'm sure I'd be fine with it. But I don't think it's anyone's natural color. It's not really blonde, more...lemon zest/pith. And I didn't do the best job (I am doing all of this craziness myself) so I still had one dark blonde spot on the back left side of my head. Ugh. Anyway, Jacob liked it, so I've kept it for a couple days each time I've done it.
Next was the purple (which I think I already blogged about previously) which I LOVED!!! The only downside was how, as it faded, that one spot that didn't bleach well was really, really noticeable. So noticeable that I did a second round of the purple dye only one week later to cover it up but still keep my purple for a bit longer.

I did really like how the purple faded though. Kind of silvery. If I could get that color permanently, I would.
After I was done with the purple, I knew I wanted to do pink. I decided to do a second round of bleach to get all of the purple out and get rid of that spot I missed the first time. I bought a hand mirror first. :) The second round of bleaching was more complete.

So then the day before Easter (because I wanted my pink nice and vibrant to go with my Easter dress), I put in the pink dye. In retrospect, I'm really glad that I got all excited and decided to rinse it out around 6pm. The result was NOT what I wanted. The pictures don't quite do it justice, but it was orangey-pink at the roots and still lemon-y everywhere else! Yuck! Jacob (of course) really liked it because he said it looked like  flames. I did not because it reminded me of those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars, but NOT in a good way.

I video chatted whoever was online to get input. My sister-in-law was over and we had a lengthy discussion. I googled stuff. In the end, I decided if it didn't completely clash with my Easter dress, I'd keep it. However, it clashed. Bad. So at about 8:30pm, off I went to the beauty supply store. I was determined that if I couldn't find a replacement pink (I'd been buying all my dyes on Amazon) that I would at least get a permanent black dye and take my chances. It couldn't get worse, right? Right???

THANKFULLY, the beauty supply store had the brand of dye I use in all of the colors. When I compared a tub of what I had used on my hair with the other pinks they had, it was ORANGE. Stupid internet. "Flamingo pink" = orange. For the record.

Anyway, back home, dye in, cross fingers, 4 hours later (it's semi-permanent dye so it's cool - I usually leave the crazy colors in about 12 hours) and I had pink hair! Like Frenchie from Grease pink hair. It was PERFECT. So my hair story had a happy ending. At least as far as I am concerned.

Now the pink is fading out again and it's doing the whole strawberry shortcake ice cream bar thing again. But it's less dramatic so I'm dealing with it. For now.

I did get a second tub of mystery color when I bought the pink, so I'll probably be doing that soon. Don't worry, it's actually a hair color that does occur in nature, just not in our family. :) I'll post pictures when I get around to that. I'm a little loathe to let go of the pink - I really love it.

In the meantime, here's the pictorial version of hair adventures in March:

1 comment:

Nicole said...

For a second when the Easter picture with Zizah showed up I thought you had dyed her hair too. :) Oooh. I like that faded purple. That looks awesome.