So I graduated from college five months ago. I've been trying to find a job ever since. Fortunately for me, my supervisor at maintenance loves me, so I was able to work as a "full-time temporary" during the summer months. They told me I had 910 hours or six months, which ever came first. I figured I had until November until I got booted. Then a couple of weeks ago the secretary called and informed me that the hour total included all the hours I worked as a student, so I had about a week-and-a-half until I was unemployed. We tried to see if there was some way around it, but that didn't work out.
Before this I had been applying whenever I found something that looked promising, but knowing that very soon we would have only Alex's 8 hours a week at his student job to support us, I started feeling a little more desperate and applying for anything I could do rather than just things I would like to do. Sadly, most places I applied have still not gotten back to me. On the bright side I did get a job. It's certainly not glamorous, but it will get us by. I start on Monday as a book sorter at Worldwide Book Drive. Basically I sort books, then sort them again, then pack them up to be sent places like Africa and prisons, and other as yet undisclosed (to me at any rate) locations.
Everyone keeps reminding me that it's just a tough market right now, especially for people in my major/job sector. I do have to ask myself why I went to college to end up working at a job that doesn't require a degree and pays less than the job I had as a college student. At least it's a job though and Alex and I can avoid the awkward situation where we have to take turn trying to beg money from our parents (I'm sure Mom and Dad are glad that we can avoid that too).
2 comments:
I remember those days. We lived on David's part time job, and federal grants. Plus we found gov subsidized housing. I think poor is required for newlyweds. Hang in there 'You'll get through this . . .no matter what it ta-a-akes' hehehe, love you!
Congrats on your job! At least it's something, right? Don't worry -- I think we all go through that "what did I get a college degree for" stage. I worked one day at a cheese factory weighing cheese, one day at a meat-packing plant putting ham in a slicer, and one month at a payday loan place. This was all within my first six months of marriage. Poor IS a newlywed requirement, dang it! Good luck with your continuing job hunt!
Post a Comment