This post is mostly for Jared's benefit, because he weeps and wails so much over practicing piano. He wanted everyone to know how hard he's been working.
Horn #1: Last month, Rachel and Jared took practical exams for the Associated Board of the Royal Academy of Music for piano. They had to play certain pieces, scales, and other fabulous things, including singing (which Jared just thought was torturous). We just found out that each of them scored in the highest bracket, receiving a mark of "Distinction". Here's the drumroll for Jared...He received the top score in the entire region (Maryland, Virginia, DC) for his level. He even got a plaque. Their piano teacher is very big on teaching music theory, and she does a great job training all of her students. Each of them should be ready to tackle BYU's music program without blinking an eye. Neither Rachel nor Jared wanted to play in the little recital that celebrated these honorees, which was just fine with us. It is so wonderful to hear them play the piano every day, "Cantina Band" and gnashing of teeth notwithstanding.
Horn #2: I'm late in mentioning this, but Rachel received special awards on the last day of school. She received an academic excellence award and an award for all "A's" all year. She also received a special award given to only 8 kids in 7th grade--the Team award. Her school is divided into teams--to organize the kids in their classes, etc. Anyway, she was nominated by her teachers, and they read a wonderful little biography about her (and the other kids, too) in front of all the 7th graders and parents. We didn't know she was getting this award, and when they started reading, I thought, "hmm--sounds like Rachel." When they got to the part about "a true little lady", I knew for sure. This award singled out kids who have both academic and social leadership, and who represent the values of the school. A boy from our ward also won this award for his team. I have given her permission to marry him. Rachel is just a remarkable girl, and it is amazing to see her confidence and talents blossom. She is the girl I wanted to be when I was 13.
Horn #3: Ben jumped off the diving board for the first time today! YIPEE! We have been bribing him for years now, and he finally did it. Indiana Jones Lego sets go a long way, if you need to bribe your kids...As you know, he is rather emotional, so we've been through many, many tears of anticipation, but today he did it without my prompting. The best part is when he climbed up the ladder to get out of the pool, he was crying. He said, "I'm crying because I'm so happy!" Oh my. Later, he told Dad that he was overjoyed. I think he was just freaked out. I'm so proud of him, because he really has some sensory fears, and water has been one of them. He has come a long way, baby!
Three horns for three great kids. I'm sure I will post more about the other three children when more horns are needed. They are wonderful, too.
4 comments:
Guess who else has tears after reading this post. It was great to see my own children accomplish great things, but it is even greater to see/hear that the grandchildren are doing the same type of things.
Rachel, Jared and Ben Grandma is so very proud of all of you. Keep up the good work. I love you all so much.
Yea! Very impressive, all three. And really the Cantina song sounds hard and that's what he'll use to impress the kids at church when he's a little older. so fun! we can't wait to come see you guys again!
Congrats to you all! It's nice to toot horns every once in a while. I should really do the same for my kids. They are real treasures!
Post a Comment