Friday, July 25, 2008

Of Lice and Rocks

We returned a few days ago from our annual campout with Logan's extended family. In theory, this sounds like a really wonderful, fun, relaxing trip. Reality for me is that it can be a little challenging. We go to a campground where access to water is out on the road (and sometimes down the road a little, depending on your campsite) and you need to carry your dirty water out to the road to pour into their waste water sinks. They do have latrines, but those are also a ways down the road, can get really stinky and sometimes run out of toilet paper. On the flip side, it is a beautiful area, and we usually camp in sites with the river running just below us, so if you like the sound of a water feature, you're set.
So, to my story. I was kind of looking forward to this trip. It was our first year in our own site. We usually share with his parents. We got there in good time, got set up and things were going well. That is until Aunt Flo came to join me. I wasn't prepared because I had already received the scheduled visit about a week before we left for this trip. So, I made a trip into the nearest town and then grumped around at my bad luck and why does this keep happening to me...
So, spirits are down. We make it through a few more days with only a few scares as Brooklyn continues to topple camping chairs, landing with her head just too close to large rocks. Sunday arrives and we decide to take the kids down to the river to play in the water. We climb down a rather steep bank and find this nice little rocky beach. What do kids do? They start trying to "skip" rocks. As young as they are, that really means throwing rocks into the river. One gets a little close and I sternly reminded them to be careful they aren't throwing rocks by people. Of course, she was trying to throw her large rock the other direction, but at 6 she has little aim or control. So Maya pegged me in the head with a large rock. It hurt so bad, so I grabbed the side of my head. I opened my eyes to see blood streaming off both elbows. Logan starts pouring handfuls of freezing river water on my head to try and find the wound. He says every time he pushed on my head, more blood would squirt out. We grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding and managed to drag everyone back up to camp. It may have needed a few stiches, but the nearest hospital was an hour away. I was going to try and put in a picture, but realized this laptop doesn't have the programs for downloading from my camera yet, sorry. So, I have had a headaches ever since, can't sleep on my favorite side and, of course, keep getting banged on that side of my head. At least I got the rock in the head instead of Brooklyn!
So, that was eventful enough for me, but alas, it doesn't end there. We came home to unpack and clean the car. While Logan and I worked, Maya played with the neighbor kids. We called her in later for a good scrubbing and discovered that she had a bunch of bugs crawling in her hair. Yes, she has head lice. Not a clue where she got it from, but it is not fun. This is the girl who doesn't like to have her hair brushed, so you can just imagine what an hour of meticulously combing her hair sounded like. She is also restricted from playing with her friends. It's killing her and me at the same time. Not to mention all the extra washing and cleaning. So far, no one else has shown signs of head lice. She is the lucky one. It's a good thing I have a whole year before we consider this camping trip again.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, boy. What a story! I'm glad that you're okay and that no one else has lice yet. I hope no one else gets it!

Carolyn said...

Now that's a good camping story. :)
Sorry you took a rock to your head - that doesn't sound very fun. I've enjoyed the handful of times I've gone camping with Jacob's family, but then again, none of the little kids who have been there were mine. We'll have to see what next year's trip brings. The only one of us kids I remember getting headlice was Nicole (I think). I know someone did because we had the special shampoo in the linen closet for years afterward.
Isn't it wonderful that the bad parts of memories tend to fade so well? By next year, you'll probably have forgotten the worst of this trip and be looking forward to it again. :-P Apparently, I forget the worst of things very easily. Just the other day, I mentioned to Jacob that I could handle being pregnant again right now. Granted Hazel was being oh so cute that the time and I had gotten a really good night's sleep. But never fear, I rescinded that comment later when Hazel was crying the floor for no apparent reason and she had made 3 new spit-up spots on our poor, very dirty carpet. There are NO immediate plans to expand our family again. I think Hazel can handle being the center of attention for quite some time.

Mom said...

Oh, Janet, I am sorry!( About the head lice and the rock.
How is your head doing now?
I think that Carolyn is correct. I think that Nicole was the only one to ever get head lice, but your are right it is not a fun experience for mother or child. I really hope that the others do not get it also.
I will try to call in a couple of days. We can remember the feet things. I am doing very well and not taking pain pills anymore.
Take care

David said...

Yikes! Sorry about the head trauma, but I love the true Mom speak of better me than one of my kids. I hope you have a very uneventful rest of summer! love you!

Wendy said...

Yes, the whole head lice thing sucks! All of mine had it early this year except Jesse. The boys, I just shaved them and Eva and I had some really long talks amid some tears. She is NOT allowed to contract that little bug AGAIN!
Sorry about your head. Did you end up getting stitches or anything? I hope the headaches go away soon. Love ya and I will try to call some time soon

David said...

Oh, Janet! First of all, I'm still getting the Knutti lingo down...even after 8.5 years of being in the family. For a few seconds I was trying to figure out who Aunt Flo was.

And the rock. I laughed at first. I'm REALLY sorry for laughing. In my head a saw innocent Maya throwing a pebble. So I laughed. But then I felt bad when I read about the blood.

What will next year's camping event bring? :)

Hope the headache is gone!

--dave