...Or hospital stay, whichever.
Ben was hospitalized this week with complications from pneumonia, but he is home and doing much better. I took him to the ER on June 1 (love those 5-hour visits), when he was first diagnosed via chest x-ray. He was given antibiotics and the okay to go to school. This past weekend, he was coughing so much that he couldn't sleep at all at night. He had a blessing on Sunday, and I took him to the doctor Monday afternoon (I just love it that doctors don't do weekends...), and after 2 breathing treatments with a nebulizer, the doctor still didn't hear any clearing. By this point, he was wheezing, but no fever or retractions--just shallow and labored breathing. He then sent us to the hospital, whereupon he spiked a 103 fever, and it was determined that Ben's oxygen level was 83 (supposed to be high 90's). He then was given oxygen, breathing treatments, steroids, etc., as well as another x-ray. It turns out that his pneumonia was actually improving, but it triggered an asthma-like reaction, which closed up his lungs. The lack of oxygen was the main reason for his admission, and he ended up staying until yesterday afternoon (Wednesday).
Daddy was fantastic, and he spent the most time at the hospital, reasoning that my skills were much better suited to handling the other 5 children here at home. (I do have mad skills, you know.) Never mind that Ben (and Daddy, by default) had his own personal TV and Playstation 2, as well as ice cream, chocolate milk and snacks on-demand. They even played "Rock Band" in the playroom one day. Daddy was also able to work a little bit at the hospital with his laptop.
So, when Daddy called to give me an update yesterday afternoon, he said, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is that Ben can come home today. The bad news is that he doesn't want to."
Ahh, the spa life at its finest. We're just glad he can breathe now.
3 comments:
I'm glad he can breath now and at home. It is scary when that sort of thing happens, although, the 'spa' thing doesn't sound too bad.....
Poor Ben! He has more familiarity with hospitals... I am very glad to hear that he's doing better!
You guys amaze me! If you ever offer parenting classes or "How to be stress-free in stressful situations," please let me know. Sorry Ben had to come home. :)
--Dave
Post a Comment