Monday, March 31, 2008

Very well, I accept...

Update on my life:
Still happily married.
Still in school, but only for a few more weeks.
Still working at maintenance, but remembering more acutely everyday how I need to look for a real job. May I add, yikes.

I know some of you feel less than completely satisfied by the brevity of most of my posts. If you want the long version, I included it as a comment. I don't like to feel like I'm rambling about ridiculous things in the blog proper.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

So this is what I wrote the first time, but I decided that it was getting out of hand, so I went back to basics.

I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge, but I'll attempt an update. Every now and then I think about posting on the blog, but then I realize I don't have anything to say. I continue to suffer from the delusion that nothing exciting happens in my life. Oh, wait, it's not a delusion.
Perhaps I'm just too close to see the thrilling events for what they are. I'm finishing up my very last semester of college. It's something of a relief, but it's also a little scary. One of my roommates once told me that she just couldn't see me having a real job. Apparently maintenance isn't real. I suppose I can understand that. We aren't usually too busy so I spend a lot of time doing my homework, or working on crossword puzzles, or reading.
School is mostly just still there. I have a couple big projects, a concert, a recital, some tests, and only four more days of class (ah, the beauty of a Tuesday/Thursday schedule). I suppose I should explain a few items in that list. I'm not sure if I've delineated my class schedule for everyone.
The concert: I've taken up the clarinet again (sort of). I enrolled in University Band with Alex and his brother Jason, assured that it's an easy class. Perhaps it's easy for those who have just finished a season of marching band. For those of us who haven't played an instrument on a regular basis for the last nine years, it's a little more daunting. I think I can play most of three of the songs. Sometimes I just pretend to play for the good of the band. No one wants to hear my squeaking.
This has been a musical semester. I also decided to take beginning piano because I've never been very good. I'm still not very good after a semester of practice, but I feel slightly more confident. This time I learned some of the theory too, so now I can actually tell you what key a piece is in. That is pretty exciting. I always wanted to know how to do that.
The only other class that seems to deserve mention in my list of scholarly woes is Editing for Publication. I don't actually learn much from attending class. I've basically adopted a no note-taking policy for this semester, mostly because it's not worth my time to write things down when I'll never read them again. I have had to learn or relearn a lot for our group project. We have to create a book basically from scratch. We were given some articles to include and we each had to include something we had written as well. After editing all the articles we had to create the book in a layout program. Since I didn't have a particular preference between heading up the editorial, design, or layout departments I was saddled with layout. Design is grand, but layout is the part where you have to apply the design. So I got to learn InDesign (my previous experience was with Quark XPress) so I could put it all together. I have to admit that I didn't actually mind that much. I feel like I had a hand in the designing as well though because beyond which fonts to use and where the text would be on the page I've had to decide how to handle every other formatting issue. And I got to brush up on my copyfitting skills. Have I lost everyone yet? I have a tendency to slip into jargon without noticing. I suppose I should have just summarized by saying that my project has helped me to develop and hone skill pertinent to my field of study, which would be particularly wonderful if I was still very set on going into editing. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure I want to anymore. It sounded like a great idea until I started taking editing classes. I'll just have to see what kind of job I can get.
My, I've sure rambled on quite a bit. Maybe some part of me really, really deep down almost misses writing since I've rarely had to write for most of my classes. You might think from reading this that I'm a full-time student or something. I guess I don't feel like I have much of a life outside of school.
I also just realized that I've only mentioned Alex once in passing. He is much more present in my life than that. It's been a busy semester for him and he's looking forward to a break. He wishes he was graduating too, but he still has a couple of years left. He's also looking forward to the end of his security academy. They get pepper-sprayed. I don't know why this is something to look forward too, but I guess he just wants to know what it feels like.
In other news we've finally gotten pretty settled into our apartment. It's a nice place, but we're also looking forward to moving in August. The new place will be a little less expensive and have some great amenities like a washer and dryer and a dishwasher and a second bedroom, but mostly I'm excited for the washer and dryer. Our upstairs neighbors moved in February and the new ones haven't been willing to let us use the one in the house like our old neighbors did. It's technically part of their apartment even though it's in the basement because of where the doors are. Anyway, it will be nice to stop descending on our relatives or going to the laundry at Wyview (where I work) with all the single students.

David said...

I love it! and yes I was totally lost by the time you got to copyfitting. Then again my academic standards have fallen in the past few years. I am reading books meant for elementary kids and thinking oh, i get that! someday i promise to understand what you write. i feel the same a lot, like i want to blog but really have nothing to say. lucky for me i live with 6 other people and in those relationships there is usually something going on. check my blog for more on that. happy times and good to hear from you.

Sarah said...

A) There is nothing wrong with rambling about ridiculous things in the blog proper. As you can see, I do it all the time. Let go of your inhibitions! Post away! We love to read ramblings about ridiculous things!
B) Zak also wants to experience pepper spray in the face. I have absolutely no comprehension of this desire, as it is one of the farthest things from the top of my list of desirable things. In fact, it's not on the list at all.
C) It is really good to hear from you and know how you are doing! That is very fun that you have become so musical this semester. I don't know if I even remember the finger positions for notes on the flute anymore. Of course, it has been 15 years since I played with any regularity.

Hooray for all the posts!

Mom said...

I always love to read the blogs rambling or not. It helps me know what is happening with all of you.
Thanks for blogging.

Alex said...

There is a pay raise incentive for finishing security academy, and getting pepper sprayed is like a rite of passage, although we don't really HAVE to. There is also the whole, "Now I can say I did" aspect. Plus I can then carry said pepper spray, and use it on unsuspecting library patrons... or actually very suspecting patrons, or should I say suspiciously-brandishing-some-sort-of-
heavy-object-in-my-direction patrons?