Sunday, January 6, 2008

No Way to Start the Reception Week!!

Just thought that I would fill all who may not know about this past week. Last Sunday night/Monday morning I was awakened from a sound sleep with bad pain in my left leg. I got up and walked around, did a couple of exercises and used the Migun bed. Nothing really helped a lot.

In the morning I used heat and stayed in bed a lot. Dad thought that I should go to the ER or urgent care. I told him that I would if it did not get better soon.

On Tuesday I stayed off the leg a lot and tried to rest. But it did not help much, so on Wednesday morning Dad called Brother Bailey, who is in our ward and a neurosurgeon. He said that he could see me that afternoon, so we made the trip to St. Anthony's for the appointment. By this time I could not walk standing up straight. It hurt too much.

He check me and said that he would give me some Oxycodone, Nicole knows about this one, and that I should go and get an MRI the next day, Thursday, as well as getting an injection in my spine for pain. Oh, boy!

Dad and I went in at 6:45 a.m. for the MRI, which was a closed tube, and then to the pain center for an appointment at 10:00 a.m. The doctor there, Dr. Coleman, checked me and said yes, I should have the steroid injection. He gave me a prescription for Neurontin, which I have not needed to fill. So I signed the papers and they gave me a local before the main thing.

Dr. Coleman said that he would try to reach several areas with this injection, so he did the injection and they injected dye in also to see how far the medication would go. As he stood watching the screen, they were using an ultrasound machine to track the procedure. He said "come on, just a little further". Then he waited a few more seconds and then he raised his arms in victory and said "yes, we made it all the way". He was really pleased that it had gone to all of the areas that he was trying to reach.

He told me that it would take 24 to 72 hours for me to feel the effects and that he could not say for sure how well it would work for me. He said that there are 10% of the people that it really works for, 10% that get no relief and 80% of the people are somewhere in between. So then we went home to wait. This was finished at 12:00.

By late in the day I was no longer feeling pain in my leg. I am one of the lucky 10%, plus the Lord was blessing me, I know.

Friday, I was able to do all of the things that I needed to do for the reception and not be miserable while doing them. I still have to take care, but am feeling much better. I do get tired more quickly than normal, but I just have to rest more.

I go back to see Dr. Coleman in a week and half. Dr. Bailey said that he thinks that I may be able to get by without surgery this time. I really hope so.

We had a great time at the reception and wished that you could have all been here, but we are really glad that you all made it to the wedding. We had a good crowd and many compliments.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm glad the reception went well. So what's wrong with your leg and/or spine? Is it just more of the same problem that you have had before with your back or is it something new? Let us know how you are doing!