Monday, October 29, 2007

Another Grandmother Story

In her last letter, your Grandmother/Great-Grandmother recalled another story. We believe this happened in 1980. There are two parts.

Scott

I have a grandson, Scott Knutti. When I was visiting John’s family, Scott and I were to put the macaroni in the oven, so that when his mother returned, it would be ready for everyone to eat. We got the casserole ready to put in the oven. I turned it on and opened the door. Much to our surprise, flames leaped out. Scott took a box from the cupboard above the sink and took the aluminum foil wrapper off, and I saw it was soda. I asked Scott how it would help. He said “Open the over door.” The flames came out, and he started sprinkling the soda, and the flames soon disappeared. Scott said he had learned that in Scouts – to have a box handy.

There is More

One day at home after Grandpa had passed away, I wanted to make me some soup. I had chicken to boil, and I noticed it was quite fatty. I worked and had the vegetables and noodles in, and the heat was on high to make it boil. Then, to my dismay, it boiled over. I turned the heat off and somehow moved the soup, but the flames were really high. I reached for the soda in the cupboard next to the stove and started sprinkling. I really sprinkled everything – even the burning soup. Soon everything stopped, and after the soup calmed down, I took it out for some wayward doggie or kitty. I don’t know what I would have done if Scott hadn’t told me about soda. Bless him and whoever taught him. Love, Great-Grandma.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great set of stories -- way to go, Scott, always being prepared!