Saturday, August 18, 2007

2 Years

2 years is a long time. It's how long boys serve missions. It's about as long as it takes for an elephant to have a baby. And coincidentally, it's how long Jacob and I have been married as of about 2 hours from now. :-) It's also how much longer we still need to be married before we've been married for longer than we knew each other before our marriage. Yeah, that may have not made sense, but just think about the timing of it all and it will come to you.

We actually stayed up last night until 4 am just talking with each other. We used to do that all the time when we were dating and engaged, but haven't done it much since we got married. I guess that most of the time, we can talk for short times all the time that we get the same amount of talking in. But lately, I've been really busy with work and friends and Jacob's been really busy with friends and his list of summer chores, that I guess we haven't taken much time lately to just talk to each other with no time constraints.

It was really, really fun. We talked about movies we've seen recently and vacations we want to take someday and how we think we'll handle different things our kids do. Mostly, we just talked about our marriage. I guess the idea of the 2-year anniversary was on his mind too.

The main conclusion that we came to is that we're both very happy in our marriage. Yes, we have things we need to work on and no, neither of us are perfect, but we're both very happy right now. Probably the best thing that came out of that conversation amidst all the patting ourselves on the back for making each other and ourselves happy is just how much I love this man.

I used to never believe Mom when she would tell me that as much as I love Jacob now, I'll love him more after a year of marriage, or 5 or 10 or 30 or more. So arrogant, I assumed that no one could love anyone as much as I loved him when he left on his mission or when we got engaged or married. At that point, I guess I didn't think it was really possible to love someone more than I did right then. And sometimes, it's really, really nice to be proven wrong. :-)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hear, hear! I know that I feel the same way about Zak--I thought I loved him so much when we got married, but I love him more now after three years of marriage than I did at that time.
In the last week, we have been taking a little more time to hang out together instead of constantly busying ourselves with family and friends. As wonderful as family and friends are, it's even more wonderful to be able to spend time together and just enjoy each other. I'm glad that we got such good men!

Mom said...

It is great to know that things are proving out as I told you Carolyn. It really is true. Just think how you will feel after nearly 40 years (39 Aug 1st) of marriage.
I can really echo both yours and Sarah comments. It love just grows stronger with each year. Being separated for a few days gets hard. I really missed your Dad when he was gone on business for five days this week. I am so glad that he is back.
Just keeping working on improving the relationship as time goes on and things will work out just fine. There will always be bumps, but you can all make it through and over them, because you have good solid marriages.
Congratulations on your 2nd Carolyn and Jacob and your 3rd Sarah and Zak. Keep up the good work.

Mom