Sunday, June 9, 2013

Speed Turns 3!!!

Yeah, this is late. Don't be a hater.

Speed's birthday felt a little ..... under-planned in my opinion. Which is my fault. Well, and Speed's fault for wanting crazy things. All the boy would ever say he wanted on his cake or for his birthday was "a GIANT PANCAKE". Seriously. I showed him pictures of the other birthday cake from birthdays past. We cruised the internet. Still, "a GIANT PANCAKE". So silly me being me, I procrastinated looking up how to make a cake look like pancakes until the night before. Guess what - it's completely doable. Doable IF you have fondant skills. Which I don't.

So instead I took Speed to the store and had him help pick out his cake and frosting. Apparently the only thing anywhere near the same level as "a GIANT PANCAKE" was chocolate frosting "with SPOTS" meaning sprinkles. Yeah, that I can do. So Speed's cake this year was even easier than Zizah's. I did try to fancy it up with some writing and a (kinda lame) Thomas the Train in the corner. Which Speed didn't even notice, though his cousin the train-nut did. So at least someone appreciated it. Actually, I think his (the cousin's) exact words were, "Is that supposed to be Thomas or something?"

"Or something, my nephew. Or something."


Anyway, he had a good birthday and didn't even try to murder his balloons! (See this post.) He settled for manslaughter over the next couple of days as we learned (once again) that balloons don't make good seat cushions. You can't blame a kid for trying, right? He had a TON of fun playing with all of the fun new toys he got. He really loved everything, which was great, because we really didn't know what he wanted for sure, so everyone was pretty much guessing.

Speed is such a funny boy and such a complete joy to have in our family. He's fully into the 3-year-old, "I want to make you happy" stage. I love this stage. Such a sweet reward after the fun of the terrible twos. He loves to scratch our backs and both tickle and be tickled. His favorite thing in the world is certainly the WiiU and I'll tell you, the boy has some serious platforming skills. He's way better than me at Mario. Really. Though if you ask him who the best is, the answer is usually the right one: "You. And me too." :)

P.S. Here's the link for the pictures if the slideshow doesn't work.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think your Thomas looks great. I briefly considered trying to put Thomas on Noah's cake because I'm sure he would have loved it, but I'm just not that cool. All I got out of him when I asked what sort of cake he wanted was "Brown!"