Saturday, December 17, 2011

Random Thoughts

- Yesterday was an awesome day. We went out for breakfast and sat talking about life and the future and just things while the kids played in the "chicken playground" (we were at Chick-fil-A). Then after a few hours of work, we spent the whole night playing our various video games. Hearing Hazel cheering for me while I fight a dungeon boss in the new Zelda and then hearing her say things like "Oh no, Mommy, your guy died!" and "Mommy, you shouldn't be on fire." - I just love that she's involved in one of my hobbies like that. Then there's the fact that she's SO excited for "her turn" (which involves running around the village - the safe zone - hacking at bushes and throwing pottery). I just love that she loves things I love. And then there's Speed, who isn't quite dexterous to do any of the controls himself yet, so he runs between all 3 screens and watches the different games we're playing and then goes to bang on the keyboard of the kids' computer. I have a feeling he's on the same path and I couldn't be happier about it.
- I had a dream last night about my Grandma Knutti. She passed away almost 3 years ago. It was a silly, odd dream - something about going to get her a hot dog from a fast food place and she wanted weird stuff on it and I was worried that they wouldn't have her weird toppings and that she was expecting us back sooner than we'd be back because she was in Salt Lake City and the hot dog place was in Farmington. Like I said, weird. But I woke up from the dream (mostly because Jacob was yelling something in his sleep) and it made me a little sad that my time here with my grandma was gone. And it reaffirmed to me that I really want my kids to have relationships with their grandparents. I was too young when most of my grandparents passed away to really remember them well and a big part of that was the distance we lived from them. But that's life and it happens. But now, with video chat, it doesn't have to be that way just because we don't live close.
- I love my family and they are the most important thing to keep strong in this life. I just finished the last book in a series and at the end, several of the main characters make what most would consider the "responsible" or "noble" decision but it just made me sad. At the risk of spoilers, I won't point out which book or go into specifics (in case we're friends on Goodreads and you already know what book I'm talking about). But if that "noble" decision is hurting your family, it might be time to rethink it.
Speaking of families, my little ones are stirring, so I guess my musings need to come to an end. :-)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thank your for the post. Yes, family is the most important thing there is. We love the video chat and we need to do it more often.