Here's the story of Hazel's head (sorry I got too lazy to take some pictures to make the narrative more interesting):
Last Sunday evening, mass chaos had ensued as 4 of the 5 adults in the house were busy making a large lasagna dinner for everyone. (I don't remember what Jacob was doing - most likely playing a computer game of some sort.) All of the sudden we heard a crash from Kathy and Jimmy's room - where Hazel was playing with their puppy, Dash. Knowing Hazel's fabulous track record with broken glass, I ran in quickly to assess the damage.
Upon viewing Hazel and Dash's relative positions, the best I could deduce was that Dash was behind the rocking chair and Hazel was in the rocking chair rocking back and forth, facing the back of the chair (probably trying to see Dash). One of my lovely Ikea lamps lived behind the rocking chair - you know, one of those lamps with the glass lampshade? Well, it looked like Hazel rocked a bit too hard at one point and knocked the glass lampshade into the wall, shattering the one side of it.
I grabbed Hazel and handed her off to Elyse (Kathy's friend who was visiting for the day) and helped Jimmy clean up the glass. After we got that dealt with, I went to go give Hazel a little hug and have a short talk about being soft with things that are made of glass. I took her hand to give it a kiss when I noticed that it was covered in dried blood.
I want to note that Hazel had not cried or whimpered or made any sound to indicate she was hurt at all. We did get a nice loud "UH-OH" at the time of the crash but by the time Hazel was sitting on Elyse's lap on the couch, I think they were talking about Dora or something else.
Anyway, I rushed Hazel into the bathroom to wash off her hand and try to see where she was cut. However, after much gentle rubbing and much examination, I found one teeny-tiny scratch that was so small, there was no way it could have produced that much blood.
So there I was, completely stumped, when I noticed Hazel's head....
On the lower left part of her head, the hair was completely matted with blood. I asked her if she had any owies and she patted that spot on her head and said "Head. Owie." I called for Jacob (he's much better with bigger wounds than I am - ok, better with any wounds than I am) and he got to work, washing it out, cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide, and most important, making sure there was no glass remaining in the cut.
Hazel was amazing. She NEVER cried at all. We got a few whimpers when the hydrogen peroxide first went on, but that was it. She was a very good girl and held very still while her daddy cleaned her cut and got all of the hair out of the way so we could assess the damage. That girl definitely has a high pain tolerance.
The cut was a very weird shape that we're all still a bit puzzled by - it was shaped like a capital I. But despite my initial worries, there was no glass stuck in the cut, so after Jacob finished cleaning it, he pulled out the handy-dandy super glue. Hazel was having a hard time not picking at it once the glue was on, so that's why she got her giant bandage.
We took the bandage off Tuesday evening, and I would've taken a picture, but there's not much to see right now. There's still too much hair stuck in with the glue. But it should start rubbing off in a couple more days so we'll be able to see what fun shape of scar she'll have.
Oh, Hazel-girl. You do keep life interesting!!!
3 comments:
Oh the joys of parenthood. I am glad that she is alright.
Nice. I was wondering if the bandaid on her hand was related, but I'm pretty sure I never would have guessed what happened.
Yeah...that spot on her hand is one of her potty training stickers - not a bandaid. :)
The stickers are different types of sports balls (tennis, basketball, baseball, etc.). Her current favorite is the volleyball, though I can't tell from the picture which one she had on that day.
Post a Comment