Monday, August 9, 2010

Disneyworld: Part 1

So, in case you were not aware, the third week in July, TaxHawk, Inc. (Nicole's and my employer) flew the entire company and their families out to Florida for a week at Disneyworld. Here's the fantastic recap. :-)

Day 1, Sunday
We (the Walls) flew out of Phoenix on Sunday morning. We’d only been at the airport about 10 minutes when I realized that I’d forgotten to take Hazel’s car seat out of Pink 5 before Bret drove off with it. Not the best way to start out a trip, but it wasn’t a huge deal. The flight to Florida was very uneventful, which is always good when you’re traveling with children. The Seveys were waiting in the hotel lobby when we got there and we were really excited to have more time to spend with them. On the downside, our room wasn’t ready, so that took a few extra minutes and we ended up with a smaller bed than had been booked for us. Strike one for the Beach Club. We (Seveys and Walls) had dinner that night at a buffet in the hotel that was very yummy but also very expensive. But at least we got to eat our fill of crab legs. :-) We stayed up “late” talking (still got to bed before midnight Phoenix time). Hazel slept in the closet that night - her choice, not our’s. She dragged her pillow and blankets in there and just feel asleep. Such a cute but weird little girl.

Day 2, Monday
The Walls slept in Monday morning, which was unintentional but obviously needed. We wanted to hit one of the closer parks this day and since the Seveys had already done most of Epcot on Sunday (they arrived a day earlier), we all decided to head over to Hollywood Studios. The first thing we all wanted to do was the Indiana Jones show, but we just missed it, so we decided to hit up the Star Wars ride while we waited for the next one. I remember going on the same ride the one time I went to Disneyland as a child and it was just as fun as I remembered. It’s a ride I’d love to go on with some of my nephews and nieces. :-) We did child swap since this one had a height requirement and when Nicole and I came out from our turn on the ride, Jacob pulled me over to the painting section of the Star Wars gift shop and asked me to pick a painting. I’ll be honest, I thought he was kidding at first but it didn’t take long before I realized he was completely serious. In the end, we actually bought one. I was tempted to ask the employees how often someone actually buys a painting there, but I think I got distracted by Hazel doing something. Seriously though, it’s completely awesome. You can all feel free to be jealous of its awesomeness.

Next was the Indiana Jones Stunt Show (not the official name because I don’t remember what the official name is). So cool!!! They showed us how they did a bunch of stunts in Raiders of the Lost Ark and I’m not completely sure but I think the guy that was doing the stunts may have actually been one of Harrison Ford’s stunt doubles. The show was one of Jacob’s favorite parts of the trip and one of mine as well. Hazel applauded along with everyone else, so I think it’s safe to say she also enjoyed it. They showed us the rolling bolder scene (somewhat scaled down, of course), the fight at the German airstrip and the fight in the Cairo marketplace where Marion gets kidnapped. There was a good dose of comedy in it as well - overall, a really fun time.
After that, it was time for the first of many visits to a Disneyworld Baby Center because the babies needed to eat. Then it was our turn for lunch and we had the first of many burgers. Seriously, I swear most of the places at Disneyworld serve either burgers or pizza. Anyway, we spent the rest of our time at Hollywood Studios checking out the great movie ride, which broke part way through and we had to walk off (so technically we started the ride but didn’t finish it), and then we hung out at the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground, which Hazel really liked. Somewhere in there, we fed the babies again and the dads took off to do the Tower of Terror.
After we headed back to the resort, we went to check out the pool, which ended up being one of the cooler things in the resort. It was huge and had lots of areas of different depths, though we spent most of our time in the 1 - 2 foot depth area for two reasons. (1) Hazel could stand up there and (2) the bottom was covered in sand there. It was really cool to have the sand bottom like you do in the ocean but without the waves to get sand in places you don’t want sand. The boys tried to go get us food at the closest food place that wasn’t just hamburgers, but they didn’t allow food to-go, only ice cream. So we had hamburgers again. Jacob and Alex also went to the concierge that night to ask if we could be moved into rooms next to each other, but nothing materialized out of that, which was a bummer. Strike two for the Beach Club.

Day 3, Tuesday
Tuesday we got up early to try to hit the Magic Kingdom “Magic Hours” - basically where you get in an hour early because you’re staying on Disney property. We got a room service breakfast, which was ok, not fantastic, but ok, and we still managed to get to the park before it opened. Let me tell you - being at the opening of a Disneyworld park, especially Magic Kingdom, is pretty nuts. It was fun to have Mickey come out and have the whole crowd count down but it was still crazy. We headed straight for Fantasyland where all of the kid rides are. We hit Dumbo, the carousel, Winnie the Pooh, the Tiki Room (which they changed according to Alex), Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean (which has also been changed apparently or is at least really different from Disneyland), and the Peter Pan ride. However, somewhere between walking from Pirates to Peter Pan, Hazel fell asleep in the stroller. Since she didn’t even wake up when we took her out of the stroller, we all headed back to the hotel after that one. I think Winnie the Pooh was Hazel's favorite and she certainly entertained us and everyone else when she'd point and shout out the characters' names. We spent the afternoon relaxing and swimming some more and getting everything set up for our big excursion on Wednesday: Universal Studios.

No comments: