All kinds of things have happened lately that are blog-worthy, but I've been too lazy to blog about any of them. Maybe I'll get around to it sometime - who knows. But I thought my short trip to the library this afternoon was blog-worthy enough to get me on here.
So today is July 3rd. Those of you who ever lived in Provo on or around July 4th probably know that Provo goes nuts. Seriously. Leaving aside all of the races, the 3 days of hot air balloons and the fact that most of Center Street gets blocked off for tons of random stuff for 3 days, there's the parade. It happens the morning of July 4th and goes down most of University Avenue into downtown Provo. And people will camp out overnight to get a good seat for said parade. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, people used to camp out up to several days in advance to get good seats until the city passed a ruling that people couldn't start camping out until 6 pm the night before. Well, considering that I was down there around 4:30 the night before and both sides of University were packed, people obviously aren't really paying attention to that.
Back to my trip to the library, which happens to be right on University Avenue, hence the connection. I had completely forgotten what it would mean in that part of town that today is July 3rd. I started noticing when the traffic was really heavy - worse than a normal Friday afternoon at least. Then I pulled up to the light to cross University at 500 North. Doh. So I try to be careful to not hit any people as I drive one block down University and then pull into the library parking lot. I almost hit a dog whose owner was nowhere in sight. Then I had to leave the parking lot and go park on the street because there were no spaces that weren't occupied by regular vehicles, police vehicles, or random people just standing there who wouldn't get a hint.
Of course, this now means I'm parking Pink Five on a busy side street in Provo. Eww. So I cart Hazel inside (she was the reason I wasn't in the Honda - only one car seat and all), drop off the stuff I had due, pick up the hold that had come in and go to quickly check through the DVDs. Hazel was being her adorable self and several people told me how cute she was (that seriously happens EVERYWHERE we go - I'm not exaggerating). One woman also asked me if I knew what was going on outside. I just smiled and told her people were getting ready for the parade. She politely asked when that was and I told her tomorrow morning. She was shocked. She asked if it took place very early in the morning - I told her it started around 9 am. She was more shocked. I was a little surprised she hadn't heard about it until she explained that she was from out of town and seriously, were people going to camp out all night for a parade? I just smiled and told her that people who lived in Provo were crazy. So there you go - it's not just me that thinks that people will camp out this close to civilization for a better look at a parade are completely nuts.
1 comment:
It is not just Provo. But people are crazy, in my mind, who camp out just for a parade.
Of course Hazel is adorable. We don't have a grandchild that isn't.
Enjoy the 4th in Provo.
Post a Comment